Thursday, November 11, 2010

Migraines Saved My Life.....No Joke

To all who have been reading my blogs....Do not misunderstand my reasons for blogging about my migraines. In no way, shape or form do I want sympathy for my suffering. I appreciate everyones concerns but this has been a part of my life since I was 7 years old. The purpose of this blog is to record my day to day for medical records. There are way too many people out there who have it much, much worse than me. Send the prayers to them;-) This is my cross to bare and I would never wish it away. They have a purpose in my life.

My migraines kept me from becoming an alcoholic or worse. The loss of a spouse is hard and I could have easily turned to drugs or alcohol. My headaches have kept me from a lot of stupid things I would have done in the past if it weren't for them.

At the same time I managed to accomplish quite a bit. In a way, my stubbornness pushed me forward with or without the headaches. I have travelled all over the U.S. on my own, served in the Navy (Seabees) where I became an electrician, served as squad leader for my platoon, got my scuba license, went on cruises, received the Humanitarian Award in the Navy because of our efforts to help out during a hurricane, volunteered at numerous places with a gazillion certificates of appreciation, excelled wherever I worked and now......just completed my Bachelor's Degree with a 3.88 GPA and well over 150 college credits to date. I start my Master's in January 2011. I gotta say, it feels pretty darn good. The thing I wish the most to succeed at in life is making my husband happy. That is challenging with migraines. One thing I refuse to do is put my troubles on him. He works hard and has the patience of the largest hospital in the world! He understands me and helps whenever he can with the relief of my headaches despite the day HE already had.

Migraines saved my life and to that I am very thankful. I feel like the luckiest woman in the world. The headaches helped me get here;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment