Friday, November 19, 2010

Things That Suck When You Have a Migraine

Hiccups! Oh the pain..the agony! When your head hurts and you think there is no way it can extend anymore since the little men inside their are pushing with all their might, hiccups arrive. Each and every hiccup causing tears of pain. You try and drink water, you try and hold your breath and nothing works. By this point, I am usually pounding my head against the wall in the hopes it will burst. Hiccups is number one on my list.


Vomiting - This has to be the most painful experience when in the middle of a bad migraine. The only thing that makes it good is the fact that I always get several minutes of relief afterwords. That allows me to lay down and fall asleep before it comes back.

Waking up with a migraine. Most of my headaches will go away if I can get to sleep but when I wake up with it there isn't much chance of me going back to sleep.


I guess noise and light bothers some but I do not have that problem. There are things that bother me from time to time but it is usually some kind of stupidity. I have no tolerance for it when I have a headache (or ever really). Squealing tires, people talking loudly on cell phones, slamming of doors, dogs barking, loud music and those kinds of things are what usually drive through my brain. Being a migrainuer, I have developed a low tolerance for these types of things and why I live in the middle of nowhere. It is peaceful all the time and that really helps my head.

Concentration - Forget it! I don't know how many times my husband has to remind me of things when I have a headache. He will ask what I need and sometimes I can't even answer him. He just has to use the trial and error method on me. Head wrap? CHECK Meds?  CHECK Massage?  CHECK Head rub? CHECK
I really believe the migraines have affected my brain in that sense. I get worse and worse in remembering what I was doing from one second to the next. That happens even without a headache now.

School/Work - Thank God for online education! I can get all my homework done when I am headache free! Unfortunately it doesn't always work out that way but I get through it somehow.
Work is another story. I never expressed that I had a headache at work since it could cost me my job. I was quite a liability otherwise. I spent years working with a double quarter pounder on my shoulders and just dealt with it. Now I stay home and go to college online. I am going for a MBA, CPA since that is something I enjoy and can do on my own from home, privately. I figure the more education I have behind me, the less people can judge me for my headaches. My Bachelor's is Entrepreneurship so I work for me.

Being somewhere else - This sucks because I am away from all the things that help me. Caffeine, chocolate, ice pack, etc. Then I have to act halfway normal since people cannot understand what I am going through and would probably rush me to the hospital if they have never seen it before.

Laughter - Oh I LOVE to laugh but it causes me great pain! Hell, too much laughing gives me a headache. When I have a migraine and start to laugh, it shoots pain right through my head. Still, I like to try and joke around anyway when I have a headache to lighten up the mood...and it still beats having the hiccups!!

No comments:

Post a Comment