Thursday, November 4, 2010

My Triggers and My Relief

My triggers are MSG, raw onions, alcohol, meds (including headache meds-Flu shot? FORGET IT! MIGRAINE!), too much activity, not enough activity, too much laughter, not eating soon enough, exercise (like push ups that affect the muscles in my neck), reading, too much sleep, not enough sleep, changes in altitude, strange odors, humidity, that time of the month, cigarette smoke, wearing hats or ponytails too tight, dirty hair (it aggrivates the headaches), roller coasters and dehydration....That's 21 triggers! (This list keeps growing as I remember day by day...Ugh)

My relief comes in the form of head rubbing, shoulder rub, head scratching, hair pulling, intercourse (I think it is the oxygen intake), different types of meds each time or none, bath, fresh air, chocolate, caffeine (Coke or Mtn Dew only....something about the combination of carbonation, sugar and caffeine I guess), a funny looking head wrap, some days pounding my head against the wall or just pressing it against the wall, grinding my teeth, crying (...well, that's not a relief. That's just frustration and pain),  drinking something really cold like a milkshake or icee that freezes my brain, washing my hair.

The meds are a challenge for me as you can see. Imagine if I took something every time I got a headache??!! I already think I have organ damage because of all the bruising and problems with circulation. I also have a clotting disorder which doesn't help much. If for some reason, my headaches were related to hormones, there isn't a Darn thing I can do about it. If I do take meds, eventually I either become immune, addicted or experience a reaction from it by getting a rebound headache.. Ugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment